Despite Hyundai Motorsport team principal Andrea Adamo calling it “one of the most stupid things I have seen in my life” the organizers of the Monte Carlo Rally remain unmoved.
There is still no service in legs two and three at the opening round of the 2022 World Rally Championship – but the opening full day of competition has been cut by 12 miles.
DirtFish understands all the WRC stakeholders lobbied the Automobile Club de Monaco in an effort to get it to introduce a service into the route, but there was no sign of such a change when the ACM issued a communication about route alterations on Friday.
Adamo and M-Sport Ford managing director Malcolm Wilson had both voiced concerns regarding the format.
They feared the lack of service time in the middle of the first full day of action could complicate the introduction of the biggest technical regulation change – with the inclusion of hybrid – in the WRC’s history.
Last month, Adamo told DirtFish: “You listen to me speak bad about Monte Carlo for the first time in my life and I hope the last time.
“To not have a service in midday [on Friday] is one of the most stupid things I’ve seen in my life and a clear miss of communication between the manufacturers, promoter and the FIA.”
The Friday and Saturday stages will be split only by a tire fitting zone, where crews are permitted to change tires and work only with tools and parts carried in the cars.
Regarding the route changes, the ACM said: “Following the race by the organizing committee, Leg two has been modified in order to change a couple of special stages that can no longer provide the safety levels imposed by the new international rule book.
“So, the stages Guillaumes-Péone-Valberg (SS4/7, 8.40 miles) and Val-de-Chalvagne-Entrevaux (SS5/8 10.90 miles) will be run instead of Pierlas-Ilonse and La Tour-sur-Tinée-Utelle.”
That means a total of 61 rather than the originally planned 73 competitive miles without service in the Alpes-Maritimes on Friday January 21.
A shakedown stage has been introduced – previously that had been complicated by a crowded timetable and a Monte Carlo, rather than Gap, base. Shakedown will run at 0930 on Thursday January 20.
The Col des Banquettes road will provide the final preparations for the all-new Rally1 cars. The 1.42-mile shakedown will run for P1 crews only and won’t allow spectators on safety grounds.