Alastair Fisher says he ‘fully supports’ the decision by Irish Tarmac Championship bosses to cancel the cross-border series due to the ongoing health and safety concerns posed by COVID-19.
Alastair, the nephew of four-time Irish Tarmac champion, the late Bertie Fisher, scored his first outright victory in the competition on the season-opening Galway International Rally alongside Gordon Noble to take an early points lead.
Since then the calendar has been decimated, with the West Cork, Circuit of Ireland and Ulster rallies all postponed. Killarney’s Rally of the Lakes and the Donegal International have suffered the same fate as well.
“I fully support the decision that has been reached – I have no problem saying that,” said Fisher. “The priority right now is protecting our families and the wider public from this virus. We also have to look at the safety of officials, mechanics, fans, drivers and co-drivers. As a sport we have a responsibility.
“We cannot afford to be seen as being reckless in the eyes of some people by ignoring guidelines and going ahead and running rallies. We have to back the advice given and lead from the front,” he added.
The decision to curtail the championship early was announced on Tuesday afternoon, with the Tarmac Rally Organisers’ Association describing the current climate as ‘unprecedented times’ in its statement.
The TROA added: “The championship will now focus its attention on delivering a brilliant 2021 Irish Tarmac Championship.”
Fisher told DirtFish he was consigned to the fact this year is a write-off and is already turning his attention to Galway in ten months’ time.
“There was a time when I was hopeful – I thought that we might get out before the end of the year,” said the former Junior World Rally Championship competitor, “but as the days go by it looks unlikely. I will use my result in Galway as a springboard. I will take as many positives from that result as I can and build on it when we return.”